Saturday, December 22, 2012

Haunted by "Pines"


I do not often write album reviews. Generally this is because I try to find something I love about every album I hear, because music is meant to be beautiful. For different reasons, you can usually find wonder in something that someone has created. However I have taken a moment here to talk about the new A Fine Frenzy album Pines because it is one of the most hauntingly wonderful albums I have heard since Jenny Owen Youngs released Batten the Hatches. The weight of this album is heavy in a way that is hard to describe. The music gives you an overwhelming since of darkness and chaos, but a feeling a deep security never leaves you.



Every note and word in this album reminds you of heartbreak, but not in the way you would think. Pines is through and through an album about moving on, and that is what it inspires. It is an extremely personal album for Alison, and it shows. The style is highly different from her other albums, but longtime fans and newcomers alike will find something to appreciate here. I can unequivocally say that this is the best album from an artist I have enjoyed for a long time. 



I will not be discussing this album by song because the entire album is an experience; a journey into the emotions of the artist, and, if you allow it, yourself. Alison poured her heart into this album and what she has created is nothing short of amazing. The musical embodiment of “this too shall pass”, the music invites you to stop pining, and start living.

Keep Flying,
Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment